Our Attorneys Assist with Legal Separation in California
Experienced Norwalk family law attorneys provide alternatives to divorce
In certain situations, a couple may wish to live apart but do not want to terminate their marriage. In California, this is called a legal separation. Essentially, a legal separation is a court-approved contract between spouses that outlines how marital responsibilities will be divided. The agreement can address issues including:
- Asset and property division. Dividing the marital property can be an emotional and complicated process. In some states, there is the additional step of determining which property is community property and which property is separate. A knowledgeable attorney can make this process easier.
- Payment of marital debts. Many couples owe money on their home, their cars or credit cards. Our attorneys help apportion these debts as well as medical debts and other loans.
- Spousal support. Depending on the financial circumstances of each spouse, support may be negotiated on or ordered by a judge.
- Child custody. Determining where children should live, who should make decisions about their lives and when relatives can visit them is often an emotionally fraught process. Our attorneys work reduce the conflict surrounding these issues and come to an agreement that is best for the children.
- Child support. Both parents are expected to contribute to the costs of raising their children. This often means that one parent must make payments to the other. Our attorneys help to negotiate payments that are fair and beneficial to children.
An experienced attorney at Law Offices of Paul Jay Fukushima helps you negotiate a fair separation agreement.
Reasons to choose legal separation
While separation and divorce are similar in some ways, the marriage is not ended in a legal separation. For some couples, this is the best option for their situation. Reasons to choose a separation over a complete dissolution of a marriage include:
- Personal or religious beliefs
- Financial concerns
- Medical benefits
- Chance for reconciliation
Choosing between a legal separation and a divorce can be a difficult decision. The California attorneys at Law Offices of Paul Jay Fukushima help our clients make the right choices for their individual circumstances.
Contact a Norwalk legal separation attorney today.
To learn more about alternatives to divorce in California, call Law Offices of Paul Jay Fukushima at 562-239-9113 or contact us online today to schedule a consultation.